- 1/2 teasp Saffron
- 3-4 tbsp Boiling Water
- 50g/2oz Unsalted Cashew Nuts
- 3 Green Chillies
- 25g/1oz Fresh Ginger, chopped
- 2.5cm/1 inch stick Cinnamon
- 1/2 teasp Cardamom Seeds
- 6 Cloves, lightly crushed
- 3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 2 teasp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 teasp Cumin Seed
- 300ml/10fl.oz. Water
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 1 teasp Salt
- 300ml/10 fl.oz. Natural Yoghurt
- 450g/1lb Lean Lamb, cut
- into 2.5cm/1 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped Coriander
- 2 teasp Lemon Juice
- Fresh Coriander to garnish
1. Place the saffron in a small bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Allow to infuse for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile place the cashew nuts, chilies, ginger, cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, garlic, coriander and cumin seeds in a food processor or liquidiser together with 300ml/10fl.oz of water and blend for 2 minutes until you have a smooth puree.
3. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and fry until golden brown.
4. Add the purée mixture, salt and yogurt and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Raise the heat, then add the lamb, stirring well to ensure the pieces are well coated. Now add the saffron together with the water in which it has been soaking, stir well then partially cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes stirring from time to time.
6. Add 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped coriander, mix well, re-cover and cook for a further 10 minutes, until the lamb is tender.
7. To serve - transfer to a warmed serving dish, sprinkle the lemon juice over the meat and garnish with freshly chopped coriander. Serve hot.